Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Hugs and Prayers

I remember *vividly* the events of September 11, 2001.

I was at work and was two months pregnant with my first son.  What was a wonderful, new and exciting time was filled with horror and sadness while I watched the tragedy unfold live on television.  I could not help but sit and cry and wonder to myself "Oh sweet Lord, what kind of world am I bringing this precious little blessing into!"

As time marches on and I now have three precious little blessings, I still find myself wondering the same thing from time to time and more often these days.

Watching the video of the events that happened yesterday at the Boston Marathon brought it all right back and very vividly.  Seeing several explosions, the smoke billowing up in the air and people running frantically in fear brought out the same emotion that came twelve years ago.

When did it become the norm to take such a callous view on human life?

Every person is a gift from God...made in His image and likeness.  Scripture tells us that "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you." and "That even the very hairs of your head are all numbered."

So if we are all so special to God and to each other, why then are some behaving otherwise.  I see that commandments are broken right and left all of the time.  It is mostly little incidences of relativism, but, there are big times like Newtown, Aurora, Columbine, and the World Trade Center we are not loving God and we are not loving our neighbor as ourselves!  The first few commandments embraces faith, hope, and charity and much of what I see nowadays does quite the opposite.


People are much more concerned about their Second Amendment rights to bear arms then the health and well being of others and that is truly sad.  

I find that my prayer list has become longer and longer these days and I try to keep all of these people in prayer for peace and healing.

Times like this do make me reflect on what is truly important.

Coming off a weekend when it seemed that most things I touched turned into messes {don't even ask me about the fiasco in my oven from a box of gluten free brownies I was trying to make for my son!}, I realize that the little day to day things that we *think* we need to do are not as important as the *people* we must love!


 I need to remember that the dishes will always be there and I am pretty sure that the laundry is not going anywhere.  The paperwork will always be there waiting for me as will all of the planning for next year's school year.

Time passes much to fast for me these days and we really need to slow down and hug our kids more.  Play more.   Love more!

So... when you are thinking about what happened and continues to happen
HUG those little ones of yours tight and keep PRAYING because He does hear us and is with us among all of the trying times in life.

In the days and weeks ahead, I will try to keep one of my favorite scriptures in mind...
 
“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1

PEACE to all of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment