Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Peace Be With You

The past few weeks I have been doing what many moms do...
worry :(
I tend to worry a little bit too much at times and it shows, both physically and mentally.

I have been thinking too much about things that for the most part *I* really do not have alot of control over.  I tend to do that at times and unfortunately I take my worries to sleep with me at times too.

Last night was one of those times.  Something had been gnawing at me all day and I was unable to make peace with it before bedtime.  I found myself awake at 3:15 a.m. and began to pray.  I love to do this in the middle of the night.  It is quiet and peaceful and uninterrupted one on one time with me and Jesus.  With three boys {four if you count my husband since he is really a big kid at times} and a vivacious Border Collie, quiet time in prayer is fleeting at best.

So... I lifted my soul to the Lord and placed my cares on his shoulders.  I rested in Him and said my usual daily prayers for my sons, my husband, my husband and myself together, and for myself.  Then I said three decades of the Rosary and then rested quietly with Him.  That part is difficult for me at times.  Again with the three four boys and the dog I find most days it takes time to get to that peaceful, carefree, tranquil place.

So, I sat in peace with Him and rested for a while and let Him take care of my woes and worries.  Then the message came to read Isaiah 35:10.  I wrote down the scripture to read and peacefully drifted back to sleep feeling much better than when I awoke.

When waking this morning (again) for the day I grabbed my bible and read Isaiah 35:10

Those whom the LORD has ransomed will return and enter Zion singing, crowned with everlasting joy; They will meet with joy and gladness, sorrow and mourning will flee.

Then I was led to  Psalm 103 1-3

When the LORD restored the captives of Zion,
we thought we were dreaming.
Then our mouths were filled with laughter;
our tongues sang for joy.
Then it was said among the nations,
“The LORD had done great things for them.”
The LORD has done great things for us;
Oh, how happy we were!

Oh how I just adore getting lovely messages like this one that feel so calming and peaceful and put your mind and heart at ease!

A little bit later today I was reading the scripture passages for today and was further assured with the gospel of Matthew 8:23-27 in which the disciples were terrified by a violent storm at sea, although Jesus was right there with them.  That is how I feel at times, frightened and overwhelmed as my little boat rocks over the turbulent waters of life, although Jesus is right there with *me* as well!

I feel like He was saying “Why are you terrified, O you of little faith?” to me last night and then he took over and  rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was great calm again.



I know it all sounds very simple, but, it really can be if *we* just let go and let God do what He wants to help us.  I find myself trying to take the reigns at times of trouble and to tell you the truth, it never seems to work out too well in the long run.

I have been trying to work a quick extra prayer here and there into my days and although they are brief {which works out great for this momma} they really seem to help keep my boat from rocking too much and remind me that He is here with me all of the time.

I thought I would share them for people who are trying their best to navigate their way through the turbulent times in life.

Prayers for Emotional Wholeness by Stormie Omartain is a great little prayer companion.
She also has wonderful books for praying for spouses and children  that I am reading and purchased one for my husband too!

Surrendering Our Stress: Prayers to Calm the Soul and Strengthen the Spirit is a lovely book to mediate over a cup of tea.  It provides timely scripture and meditations for busy people in search of a little respite.

 So be assured as Jesus tells us in John 14:27 

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.

He truly is here to be with us and comfort us during good times and those that are trying.

*Peace* 

 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment