Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Through the Eyes of a Child...

Each day before I rise, I pray that God will provide me with extra patience, guidance and grace so that I may do His work with a humble and happy heart. To me, being able to homeschool my children is both a privilege and a calling. As all homeschoolers know you need an extra handful (or two) of these three things from time to time. Anyone who has taught math knows that you need to be extra patient at times when you are dying inside to say the answer that your son is struggling to find. I always try to make room in our day for the Holy Spirit to walk on our homeschool journey with us and guide us. There are days when we need extra guidance and then there are days where He just takes the wheel completely and we do not do as much as I have planned according to the books, but, those are the days when we all seem to learn the most.

One thing I have noticed and *try* my best to keep in mind, especially when the going gets tough is that the most important lessons learned will be watched by little eyes who learn how to react to different situations by how I react to them. Our children learn best through lessons we teach through the patience, kindness and love you show to them and others. Actions speak louder than words any day. A lesson about how to simply be there for someone through the laughter and the tears or a lesson on love can be some of the best and most memorable lessons ever learned!
I particularly love the song by Casting Crowns, “Love Them Like Jesus” that really puts it all into words the great amount of love all kids need and deserve.
Here are a few lyrics from the song:
You're holding her hand, you're straining for words
You're trying to make sense of it all
They're desperate for hope, darkness clouding their view
They're looking to you.

Just love them like Jesus, carry them to Him
His yoke is easy, His burden is light
You don't need the answers to all of life's questions
Just know that He loves them and stay by their side
Love them like Jesus.
"Love is patient
Love is kind.
It does not envy.
It does not boast.
It is not proud.
It is not rude
It is not self-seeking
It is not easily angered.
It keeps no record of wrongs."
"Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)
It really doesn’t get any simpler than 1Corinthians. I can remember hearing these gorgeous words on my wedding day never imagining that they would play SUCH an important part of my life from that day forward.
I try to remember that scripture verse throughout the day. When I get frustrated or impatient or when one of my boys is just not having a particularly good day and is argumentative, stubborn or just not in the mood to study. I am only human and not a Supermomma by anyone’s imagination!

Like I said, I am one momma trying to make a difference one little step at a time. I am trying to remember that what I feel at times is mirrored in what my children see. So...if I am tired, or happy or frustrated or impatient or excited or apprehensive, then they will know by what they see and what I do. These little people are super smart and they will know how you feel even before you open your mouth most days!
Fortunately for me, I am on this journey with three curious, loving and at times challenging little people who keep it all very interesting to me and for this I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment