Thursday, May 10, 2012

Raising Children Is Alot Like Baking Chocolate Chip Cookies


I have to admit I have one almost sinful indulgence.
I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE chocolate chip cookies!



I really do!
They have been my favorite snack for quite some time.  My family almost goes into mourning  when Lent approaches each year as they know that I will give them up.



I will also say that I will NOT eat store bought cookies.  
It is homemade or nothing.



To me, you get out of it what you put into it.


So....the quest goes on for the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe.

For years I have been experimenting with the ingredients and over time have refined my recipe.



Personally I love a mix of semisweet, dark and white chocolate chips.
It makes for a much tastier and a better looking product.


Like children, cookie baking is a little bit of an art and a science.  You need to follow the recipe quite carefully and cannot veer off too much or you will not get the desired results.  





But, with children, and chocolate chip cookies....you can tinker a little and with love, patience and good ingredients you will get amazing results.  Of course all of the best ingredients are already provided to us by God.  
I just do the mixing and baking :-)





In my search for the perfect cookie, I have added too much of one ingredient (usually butter) and the cookies come out too flat.  There have been times when the concoction was off a little the other way and they were too cakey!  Either extreme made for a not so tasty treat.

So I keep tinkering....





I can definitely say that I am not the same mother I was ten years ago when I gave birth to Handsome.  That mother was fresh, well rested and a novice.  I am proud of my battle scars that I have collected in the past decade.  They have all made me a better person, wife and mother.  Most of all these little angels have sanctified my life unbelievably.  I spend most of my day in service to them all (I count my husband as a big kid, but, don't tell him!) and I love it.  While in service doing the daily tasks of cooking, cleaning and the like I lift each of them up in prayer.  


I would not change one moment of my life and am so fortunate to be called to do what I do.





 With children as with baking...you reap what you sow.  I know it is a gardening metaphor, but, it fits. 
 If you put in the time, the love and the sincerity (this one is huge because little people are SMART) you will get such lovely and amazing results.  I know I have seen my boys blossom into such sweet, caring and good young men and I know it is because of the ingredients that have been placed in their hearts by God and baked by my husband and me.  We have the fun part really.  Some days it seems daunting, but, if you step back we are so privileged to be called to parenthood.




So as I jump in to the next decade of motherhood (and cookie baking) I ask daily for the grace, patience and diligence to make the right decisions and put the best ingredients in what I am creating because to do any less would be sinful (as is eating too many chocolate chip cookies).


I wanted to share the recipe I have come up with so far that has yielded the yummiest cookies:


Yummy Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup Smart Balance (or any butter substitute)
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 6 ounces dark chocolate chips
  • 6 ounces white chocolate chips
  • 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour and baking soda small bowl. Cream butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until well mixed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture by hand not using a mixer. Stir in the variety of chips.
 Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. BAKE for 11-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.










1 comment:

  1. Ann-Marie, what a lovely post. Those cookies look delicious. They look still warm!! and gooey. that's a beautiful photo of you and your three guys!~! Happy blessed Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete